This is the post that I had on Whip Up one year ago today. I hope you enjoy it encase you missed that post when I guest blogged. There is also a crochet version of this on this blog already too.
**If you like my blog and the free patterns and tutorials and want to say thank you
I have a wish list on ravelry of patterns I would like to make.
Thank you in advance for being kind and
saying thank you back.
But please do not feel like you have to**
Which for me means cold hands while warming up the car in the morning. I have never liked my ends of my fingers covered while removing the ice from the windshield makes it hard to hold the scrapper. So fingerless gloves are in order. You can hold your tool and keep your hands warm. I made a similar pair in crochet on my blog on Oct 13th of last year to make both sides of the fiber art community happy
One size fits most adults
3 circular needle size 1 ( this is easier to do with the shortest circular knitting needles you have but long will work too it just has more stuff (tubing) hanging down.
1 skein Sock yarn size 1 super fine 1.52 oz just fine
Cast on 64 stitch place 32 stitches on 1 circle needle and 32 on the 2nd circular needle
- rounds 1-22 (2 inches): do a 2 x 2 rib that means k2 p2 around all 64 stitches
- rounds 23-36 (1 1/4 inches): just plain knit around all 64 stitches Make sure last round is tight between stitches 32 and 33
thumb gusset (3 circular needles)
- round 1:knit 32 on needle one (using new needle) create 2 stitches between needle one and needle two between what was stitch 32 and 33 on previous round. knit last needle.
- round 2: knit plain ove all three needles
- round 3: knit plain on needle one increase on needle two then knit the stiches on there plain then increase one more time at the end of needle two, knit needle three
- repeat round 2 and 3 till you have 26 stitches on the thumb gusset needle end with round 2
top of palm area (skipping thumb gusset needle)
- knit in the round for 12 rounds
- knit a 2 by 2 rib for 4 rounds
- cast off loosely or use the stretchy cast off hand
split the thumb stitchs so you have half (13 each) on two separate circular knitting needles add yarn and knit for two rounds ( doesn't matter where you add the yarn inside of thumb or outside but I do like to do it on the inside of the thumbs that way if there is a little gap I can stitch it close for added strength when I finish threads)Just make sure it is neat
- knit for two rounds
- knit in 2 by 2 rib for 4 rounds cast off loosely or do stretchy cast off.
finish all tails
Repeat for second glove these gloves can be worn on both hands there is no front or back to them. This is fine for use with solid or patterned sock yarn
You can make them more interesting by
Since this is just simple knit stitch you can do two or more colors to make then interesting design.
Or you can add lace patterns to your 1st needle on first glove and your last needle on the last glove you make. Just make sure you leave at least the first 5 and last 5 stitches in knit stitch on the needle you are doing the lace on are left plain knit stitch so the sides of your mitten are solid also leave the thumb gusset solid knit.
link for stretchy bind off