Absolutely ridiculous I would think a Simplicity Pattern (number 1550 for those that are curious) would have been tested better than this. It is a good thing I have no fear of modifications to patterns.
- When I did Peasblossom I used an entirely different skirt, and split the back and made multiple layers on shirt and corset where there wasn't to get the desired effect.
- On Mustardseed I split the back of the corset and gathered the skirt and also did multi layers where there wasn't any on the skirt.
- Cobweb split the back, made multi layers on corset and multi layers on the skirt and added another set of extra grommet holes to the back of the corset different than the lacing ones to accommodate the cape/wings I made out of cobweb like fabric. I also shredded the blazes out of the hem to give it a sort of tattered look that i want to this character. Then I sewed purple ribbons to the hips of the dress so that the black over lay of lace could be tied up on the skirt. Which would then show the bright purple fabric under neath the black cobweb lace.
I am debating on going back to each character and adding a single grommet to each hip to make a hole in the corset as I would like each fairy to carry a little pouch and that is where it could tie onto the costume. Costumes never have pockets and they are useful as usually any character in any play usually have to carry props at some point in time. I'd like to accommodate that need before it is discovered that there is a need for it. Two of my daughters wanted to try this one one. The girl playing the part is more the size of my youngest daughter the day time photos. But it does fit the red headed one too, the night time photos, who is taller and more grown up in figure so it will work for multiple people over multiple school years.
Now off to make Moth's costume it is going to be very very sparkly because even though Moth's are active at night they like light so her costume reflects lots of light... Wish me luck!