The theme for homecoming this year was Chinese New Year. My middle daughter had out grown the only Asian dress she had so had the youngest. So Saturday morning I set to work on making a dress for the middle daughter to wear to the dance that night took 7 hours to make not bad really.
The dress I made is in the one in the photo above on the right with the red frog closures on my middle daughter (17 years). The other is a shirt on the left I owned that I gave to my youngest ( 15 years) but tallest daughter ( 5 foot 9 inches) for the dance to wear. Afterward I just let her keep it because she liked it so much and had outgrown her Asian dress.
I already owned the blue silk fabric. I wish it had been red as it would have more appropriate for the holiday. It had been waiting since 2009 for me to find a good project for it the other fabrics in that post have log since been used. But I am sure the fabric is older than that as it had been in the other person's stash for a while before I got it. I still have a lot of the thread and the small hide shown in the other post. The photo to the right is pretty true to color some of the other photos are not so well matched to the color.
While I was working on the dress for her to wear, my middle daughter, while laying in bed was working on making some hair pieces for her and her younger sister to wear at the dance. The youngest daughter also in bed did most of the stringing of the beads onto the wire. While the middle one did all the wire manipulation to create the beautiful hair ornaments below. Here are some up close detailed photos of the hair pieces.
I am currently residing in my sister in laws home where I live in the basement as some remodeling work is done on my home. Water and mold damage. So I don't have a lot of space to do projects but there is this nice long hallway that leads to my room. I laid the fabric out there so I could cut it. The pattern I used was Simplicity 8244 a reproduction of a 1950's pattern (2016) view A. Although I am not found of how they assembled the pattern next time I will put the zipper under the right arm not the left as it will line up with button flap. Also will not sew the button flap shut as the pattern tells you too at the bottom of it makes it hard to put on. It would be much easier to put on with these two modifications as the opening for the neck waist area would be twice as big. I have no idea what someone was thinking when they made this pattern that way. I also would change the way the side slits are made. Get rid of the slit modesty panel and make the slip about 4 inches taller as it binds a little to much at the knees not good for ballroom dancing which my daughter loves.
The below over exposed photo is when I had the dress half made
by the creator.
This is the other beaded hair piece my daughters made together one stringing and one manipulating the wire. The above hair piece was warn by the daughter to the left long with two hair sticks you see in the photo. You can't see the beads in the photo as she let her hair down half way through the dance. She put it back up at the end of the dance without putting the beads back in her hair. It had been on the side of her bun.