I was told you could spin milkweed fluff so since I have milkweed in my yard and we are tarring out out yard currently I thought I would collect the fluff and give it a go. The milkweed in my yard is not an accident. My grandmother vova sent me seeds, my older sister sent me seed, and my middle daughter collected seeds. Thus three spots in my yard had plants each from a different person. My children and I collected the seed pods Saturday and removed the seeds from the fluff pretty simple just time consuming we collected about 14 pods. Milkweed is poisonous.
How to do this read on if you want to and do it. Do not blame me for any reactions you do this at your own risk.
- collect seed pods
- I had a reaction see red warning below
- remove seeds from fluff
- do this where there is no air current as the fluff will get every where. We did it outside on the porch with fresh air but no breeze that day
- store fluff in bag or cardboard box till use otherwise it will fly away
- card it: card about 1/3 wool to 2/3 fluff
- add wool to carder first card up, then add fluff and card that transfer wool/fluff at least once then add a tinny bit more wool and card again and form a roll ready for spinning
- this makes my mouth itch as the fluff flies around and little bits rest on me remember poisonous stuff I had reactions to it see below
- I used a drop spindle to spin mine to a single ply then used a drop spindle again to make it into a double ply yarn.
I have been told you can also spin dandelion fluff but I don't have those in my yard. Also how long would it take to get rid of all those seeds yikes so little. But at least that stuff would not be poisonous.
Some benefits of milkweed during WW2 it was collected for life preserver vest 2 bags full = i jacket which would float for 100 hours before the water would make it sink pretty impressive. Also if you have warts the milk if put on the wart will kill off the wart.
When I was a child we would collect milkweed and caterpillars and watch them change into chrysalis and then into monarch butterflies happy memories of my Vova on this her birthday. So I did this in honor of her and all those happy memories.
Warning : Milkweed is highly poisonous to the point of death if you get about an ounce of it in you.